your job is to decide where to utilize your energy, a compound called "zenjin" more commonly referred to as steam rock or steam for short, in you steam titan. Steam titans are giant war machines manned by talented pilots who are part strategists, part engineers, and part navigators. Using your pilot's special abilities, as well as cards that modify your weapons and the terrain, you decide whether to power up your weapons, bolster your defenses or transfer steam to your legs in order to move. Phases allow you to move your steam titan, attack the enemy, manage your energy, purchase cards, and keep your pressure from reaching the critical stages. Because the flow of steam takes time, you must think several turns ahead while also reacting immediately to enemy attack. Players roll one set of dice for attack and a different unique set for defense. Since you are creating a campaign against your opponent, and reacting to their attack it's best to plan ahead, but prepare a backup plan!
- In Heavy Steam you play the role of a Pilot controlling your steam titian's systems from the command center inside its head.
- Fully customize your steam titan: choose a Titan, recruit your pilot, then customize with weapons of your choice.
- Plan ahead if you want to power your legs, weapons or other systems.
- The battle board is abstracted with easy to master combat.
- Event cards, terrain cards and other cards keep the game fresh and new every time you play.